Website Feedback

Form Builder

Required fields are marked with asterisks (*)

Demolition Information Form

CKL logo

Development Services Building & Septic Division
180 Kent Street West
Lindsay ON K9V 2Y6
Telelephone: 705-324-9411 extension 1288
Fax: 705-324-5514

This form is not submitted electronically. A PDF will be emailed to the email provided. Please print and sign that copy and submit with your permit application package.

1. Does the building exceed three stories in building height?
2. Does the building exceed 600 square metres (6458 square feet) in building area (footprint)?
3. Does the building contain pre-tensioned or post-tensioned members?
4. Will the proposed demolition extend below the level of the footings of any adjacent building and occur within the angle of repose of the soil as drawn from the bottom of the footings?
5. Will there be any explosives or lasers used during the course of demolition?

If the answer to any of questions 1 to 5 is Yes, the applicant shall retain a Professional Engineer to undertake the general review of the project during the demolition. Furthermore, the applicant shall submit a completed General Review Demolition Commitment Certificate and a letter detailing the structural design characteristics of the building and method of demolition.

6. Is the building a designated property on the City of Kawartha Lakes Heritage Registry?

Heritage designation can prevent demolition or relocation of a building.  Properties that have been designated under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act require approval from Council in order to undertake demolition or relocation.  The demolition permit is reviewed first by the Municipal heritage Advisory Committee and within 90 days Council must decide whether to refuse the application, consent to it or consent with terms and conditions.  The owner can appeal Council’s decision to the Ontario Municipal Board who will make the final decision.  In most cases a compromise solution can be reached and the community is able to retain its history. Our Heritage Designation Register is available here.

7. Will you be moving this building?

If the answer to question 7 is Yes, the applicant shall have written approval from the following appropriate departments, prior to the submission of the demolition permit application.

Local Roads          
City of Kawartha Lakes Public Works - Operations
Phone: 705-324-9411 ext. 1171          Fax: 705-328-3122

Provincial Roads 
Ministry of Transportation O/O Permit Office
301 St. Paul Street, St. Catharines, Ontario L2R 7R4
Phone: 800-387-7736

Ontario Fire Code:

The Ontario Fire Code stipulates specific safety measures to be in place prior to and during a demolition. The owner/authorized agent of the owner shall insure that, where applicable, the demolition of the building is carried out in accordance with Section 8.1 of the Fire Code. Copies of the Ontario Fire Code (Section 8) have been made available at the Building Division; alternatively the complete fire code is accessible online on ServiceCanada’s E-Laws website. Questions regarding comliance of Section 8 of the Ontario Fire Code may be directed to the Fire Prevention Division, 705-324-5731 ext. 545 or via email at .

Does this building contain asbestos?

If yes, contact City of Kawartha Lakes - Waste Management Office 48 hours in advance of disposal of materials to a City owned landfill facility at 705-324-9411 ext. 2360.

It is the responsibility of the building owner/authorized agent to ensure the safety of workers from hazardous materials including, but not limited to, asbestos and lead paint, in accordance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations and the Environmental Protection Act and Regulations. Furthermore, a detailed survey to determine the types and conditions of hazardous material shall be carried out and provided to the Contractor prior to demolition.

For further information contact:

Ontario Ministry of Labour
705-755-5170 or toll free 800-461-1425
Ontario Ministry of Labour website:

Infrastructure Health and Safety Association
Infrastructure Health and Safety Association website:

Disconnection of Services:

Contact Ontario One Call prior to proceeding with any work relating to this application – 1-800-400-2255  WWW.ON1CALL.COM

This section of the form must be completed to indicate which of the following services are located on the property.

Note: It is the responsibility of the Owner/Applicant to confirm and arrange with the proper authorities for the termination and capping of all services and utilities including, but not limited to, water, sewer, gas, electricity, telephone, and cable.

Electricity - Hydro One – Markham Call Centre (Coordinate with electrician) Phone: 1-888-664-9376 Fax: 705-743-0471
Gas - Enbridge Gas Phone: 1-855-228-4898 Options 5 + 3 email:
Water Meter - City of Kawartha Lakes – Utility Billing Department Phone: 705-324-9411 ext. 1219/1284 Fax: 705-328-2620
Water and Sewer - City of Kawartha Lakes – Water & Wastewater Department Phone: 705-324-9411 ext. 1121 Fax: 705-328-3054
Bell Canada - Mark Young - Access Network Coordinator - -
Cable TV - Cogeco Cable Solutions Phone: 705-742-9706 x 8029 Fax: 705-742-3563 or Cable Cable Inc. Phone: 705-887-6433 Fax: 705-887-2580

Note: The sanitary and storm sewer connections are to be disconnected by the individual demolishing the building, as directed by the City. The water service will be turned off at the curb stop and the water meter removed from the building prior to issuance of permit.

Where demolition sites include fire hydrants located within the site, these services shall remain operational until the demolition is complete.

Applicant's Declaration

I hereby declare:

  • That I am the owner/authorized agent of the owner named in the above demolition sign-off sheet.
  • That the information supplied by me in the application and in the materials filed by me with the application is correct.
  • That I have arranged/will arrange with the proper authorities for the termination and capping of all services and utilities including, but not limited to, water, sewer, gas, electricity, telephone, and cable.

And I hereby certify that the above is correct to the best of my knowledge.


Please Note: Upon completion of this form a signed copy must be submitted to the Building & Septic Division in conjunction with an application to contruct or demolish.

Print, sign and submit to your area Building Inspector, via email, drop off at any municipal Service Centre, mail to the address at the top of this form or alternatively email to

For more information on filing applications or making payments please visit the City website at and navigate to My Property page and Living Here.

Personal information contained on this form is collected pursuant to the Municipal Act, 2001 and will be used for the purpose of responding to your request. Questions about the collection of this information should be directed to the City Clerk or Deputy-Clerk at

Contact Us